Yeah it’s Christmas and many of us will blame it on the season when our waist lines thicken. And then come January, we will fill our new year resolution wish list with all sorts of health and fitness goals that won’t see the light of February.
So let’s focus on what we can do. We can make conscious choices about what we put into our bodies. Yes we’ll definitely be tempted to try a slice of cake (I know I will), but should generally try and eat healthy, wholesome foods. But healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
Case in point – My Amazing Chicken Salad Recipe 🙂
Let’s get straight to it, shall we?
Grill very well marinated chicken thighs (or breasts), then skin,debone and shred it. Cut up 1/4 cucumber, 3 large tomatoes and 3 or 4 lettuce leaves. Mix in 3 tablespoons (or less) of Greek yogurt and 1/2 spoon of mayonnaise (optional). Add your chicken to the mix and voila, you are ready to dig in.
PS: Ensure your chicken is well marinated, preferable overnight because it really defines the flavor of your salad. I bought already marinated chicken from a Lebanese store and oven-grilled it myself. Next time, I’ll marinate myself and share the recipe.
Do you have other healthy recipes we should be trying out this Christmas? Please do share in the comments section. And do let me know if you try out this salad.
All my love,
This is for my friend Oshole.
He saw a picture of this meal on my blackberry messenger and described my food as ‘mad nice. This warmed my heart. It really did. And so I promised to post a tutorial. You should thank him 🙂
1 small tuber of yam
Salt to taste
1. Slice the yam in circles (one or two should be fine depending on the width an circumference of each slice)
2. Peel the bark off each slice and then cut into long strips
Ata Rodo Sauce
14 scotch bonnet peppers (ata rodo)
2 medium onion bulb
1 small garlic bulb
1 small ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cooking spoons of vegetable oil
Curry, thyme and salt to taste
1. Wash and blend the tomatoes, peppers and one onion bulb.
2. Wash and peel the garlic, ginger and second onion bulb.
3. Slice the onion, chop the garlic into tiny little pieces and grate the ginger.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add sliced onions and garlic. Fry until a slightly brown stirring all the while.
5. Pour in the blended tomatoes and pepper and fry for 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
6. Break up dried fish into the sauce and keep stirring for another 3 minutes.
7. Add the curry, thyme and salt to taste. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes and we’re done.
8. Serve hot with the fried yam.
Please let me know if you try your hands on this one and how it all goes down 😉
Cheers and have a great weekend.
PS: My name has been changed from Omo to Renah. Just so you know 🙂
This one will be quick and you’ll love it. I promise 🙂
So I was surfing Pinterest yesterday (
like I do everyday) and found this delish ice cream recipe on Two Peas & Their Pod. What’s more? You don’t need an ice cream machine to do this.
Next thing you know, I wake up this morning and feel this gravitational pull towards the kitchen and the bananas in my fridge. The rest, my friends, is history.
Make your Banana and Peanut Butter Ice Cream now!
Banana & peanut butter ice cream.
1. Peel 4 bananas and cut into small slices.
2. Freeze bananas
3. Blend into a smooth and creamy ice cream
4. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and blend again.
5. Enjoy your smooth and creamy healthy banana and peanut butter ice cream.
licked my plate clean ate my ice cream like a lady…cough 🙂
Anyways, hope you get to try it real soon. It will make your weekend, I assure you.
Please follow my blog for my DIY updates (button to your left) and remember to share share share.