My friend Jennifer (and ex-colleague) once wore this belt to the office and I couldn’t take my eyes off it. This picture does not do it any justice. Well, as you already know, I had to get one for myself and what better way than a DIY? Anyways, I gave the belt a once over to give me an idea of how to make it and off I went to craft heaven. Here’s my version;
What you need:
Buttons (all sorts)
Waist belt (preferably old and/or boring *lol*)
1. Cut out your preferred shape and size of felt. I initially wanted a circle but changed my mind and went for oblong.
2. Bring out your buttons. Flat-back buttons must be used; however, you can snip the back of the buttons that don’t have a flat back to make them flat.
3. Lay out your buttons on the felt in any arrangement you desire (remember to take a picture so you do not forget the arrangement).
4. Bring out your glue and squeeze out a little portion onto a blunt craft knife, toothpick, broomstick, etc (I used a small plastic knife). I used E-6000 glue. It is fantastic and I truly recommend it.
5. Spread the glue at the back of the button and place the button firmly into position as per your earlier arrangement.
6. Repeat step 4 for all your buttons.
7. Spread a little glue at the back of each of your sequins. In retrospect, I think a sequins strip will be much easier, neater and faster.
8. Fill in the obvious spaces with sequins. Allow to dry for about 15 minutes.
9. Glue the underside of your designed felt to the center of your belt.
10. Go out to the world and receive tons of compliments *lol*.
I really love this belt because it was one of the first knock-offs I made. Hope to share a lot more with you in the future. I think it turned out pretty nicely. What do you think?
Please feel free to share this post. I would absolutely love for you to try out this project and if you do, please share it with me.
Lots of love from craft heaven,